Sunday, March 20, 2011

Equinox Egg Standing


A bit of Donna Henes "CELESTIALLY AUSPICIOUS" ceremony this evening on Staten Island, as I balanced an egg on it's end at the time of the equinox.

For 18 years, thousands of people participated in Henes annual egg stand ceremonies on the black marble fountain in the plaza of the World Trade Center's Twin Towers. I dragged myself out of bed one year and looking back I think about how amazing Henes was to get a bunch of us out of bed so early to stand around in the dark cold morning to look at eggs!

Henes still produces the ceremony in NYC, today it was performed in Brooklyn at Grand Army Plaza, at 7:21pm.

She says "In order to be real, a ritual has to be really done: actually, physically performed by each participant in a personally relevant way."

Not able to join the ceremony in Brooklyn I took the advice that Henes gives on her blog- "Stand an egg wherever you are."

No comments:

Post a Comment